When we say prostate health, it generally means taking care of the prostate gland. But with good health in this area, the entire male reproductive system will benefit. Otherwise, complications may arise and at worse, it may become prostate cancer. Cancer of the prostate accounts for 10% of all male cancer deaths in the United States. It rarely occurs before age 60. If diagnosed early enough, it can be treated with considerable success.
Why does prostate cancer occur?
Prostate cancer is a result of cancerous growth comprised of cells from the prostate gland. The growth commonly develops gradually and stays in the gland for several years. Throughout the development of tumors, an individual may not experience any signs indicating the growth.
As the cancer progresses, it can proliferate further than the prostate and into its neighboring tissues. In addition, it can also multiply farther all through the different parts of your body like the bones, lungs, and liver. You will only experience indications of the illness when it is already in the progressive stage.
Causes of Prostate Cancer
The origin of prostate cancer is still unidentified. However, the cancer is said to have nothing to do with prostatic hypertrophy. On the other hand, there are some issues involved in cancer such as:
- Aging : This is a risk factor involved in prostate cancer. This notion is supported by the fact that as a man reaches his prime age, there is a great possibility that he may contact prostate cancer. It is considered that prostate cancer is unusual to affect men below 40 years of age, but men more than 50 were already at a risk to this kind of prostate problem.
- Genetics : Heredity plays an important role in this type of cancer. It is a fact that if you were born from a family with this kind of condition, it is most likely that you too will suffer from it when you reach old age.
- Environmental factors : There are a lot of environmental aspects that can contribute to prostate cancer. Included in the list are pollutants, poisonous substances and dangerous chemicals that are added into processed foods that you eat.
- Testosterone : This is the male hormone that precisely supports the development of both natural prostate tissue and prostate cancer cells. This hormone is considered responsible for the enlargement and progression of prostate cancer. The most important thing for you to understand is to maintain the level of your testosterone to lessen the possibilities of acquiring the disorder.
Symptoms of Prostate Cancer
Aside from knowing the factors that cause prostate cancer, you will also want to know more about the symptoms of the disorder. Here are some facts to take note of :
- Cancer of the prostate may produce no symptoms in its early stages, or it may cause the same discomforts as benign enlargement.
- As the cancer progresses in the urethra, the patient will experience decreases in urine discharge. Some feel great discomfort during urination.
- A patient may also feel some sort of burning sensation during urination or there may be a presence of blood in their urine.
- As the cancer cells persist to develop, there is a great possibility that urine discharge will be totally obstructed thus resulting in a painful, blocked and expanded urinary bladder.
- During the latter phase of prostate cancer, it may increase in the vicinity of the adjacent tissue or the nearest lymph nodes. This can further increase and metastasize to the other parts of your body.
- If the prostate cancer had metastasized at the bottom of your spine or pelvic bones, you will experience back and pelvic pain. Additionally, if it already affects your lungs and liver, pain in the abdomen and yellow color of the skin are the most common symptoms you will experience.
With all the causes and symptoms attached it is important for you to maintain prostate health. This article is written to guide you through your struggle. If you experience any of these symptoms, it is best to go to your doctors immediately.